Be Prepared - Storm Checklist for Commercial Properties in Canton Ohio
During the Spring months severe flooding from storms have devastated apartment complexes and commercial properties.
Before the next storm rolls through the area here are some points of interest to consider to prepare for a storm.
• Protection of Common Areas. Prepare and protect the common areas of a property, such as boarding up windows, obtaining sandbags, trimming trees, moving furniture, storing items or equipment and securing records or any other valuable property.
• Instructions to Occupants. Create and distribute a notice letter ready to be sent to residents in anticipation of a storm with instructions for preparing their units (like directions to close shutters, remove all items from balconies, and set or shut off any appliances in case of a power outage.)
• Emergency Contact and Access. Property Managers should leave contact information for all residents. Residents should leave accessibility to the property manager in case emergency access is needed (in particular, in the event of flooding and water intrusion).
• Insurance. Make sure that your property has all the required insurance policies and make sure they current and effective.
• Records of Property. Document and back up all records, photos, videos, etc. reflecting the state of common element prior to a storm so that information can be later used in connection with potential claims.
• On-site Staff. Have a plan on where the management staff will be on the premise when the storm hits the area and who will be designated to return first after the storm to access the damage.
• Generator. If you have a generator make sure that it is working properly.
• Evacuation Plan. Make sure there is an evacuation plan in place. If evacuation is necessary, make a designated person in charge to make sure every resident has left and the property has been secured.
At SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County, we offer a comprehensive Emergency Ready Profile to all commercial property owners. Be prepared today! Call us at 330-497-4600.