Five Stages of Water Damage to Commercial Properties
Understanding the five stages of water damage.
Water damage can be detrimental to your business. Water damage is commonly discussed in a five stage process. Knowing the five steps is important so you can assess your damage and can call professionals before your business reaches extensive damage.
- The free flow of water. Due to gravity water will want to travel until it is level. Water will travel through your walls and flooring and can lead to damage. It is important to report water damage at this step to lower costs to repair your structure.
- Any materials in direct contact with water absorb moisture. The damage caused to these materials will continue as long as contact is maintained. The damage can be reflected as swelling, cracking or warping of furniture and other hardwood materials. To save these materials action needs to be taken before the water ruins them.
- High humidity damage inside the building. If moisture is not dealt with at an early stage it will continue to evaporate into the air resulting in materials such as books, paperwork, pictures and other art to be damaged. High humidity can be apparent through ceiling sagging and condensation on walls. The humidity can be revered by using high power dehumidifiers.
- If high humidity isn’t taken care of then the damaged materials will support the growth of microbes and fungi along with other microscopic organism. Air quality will decrease as microbial growth increases. In order to reduce the growth of microbes professionals control relative humidity, air circulation and temperature.
- If still left unattended microbes and microorganisms will spread to other areas that were previously unaffected. Mold, mildew, and associated odors among pathogens may spread throughout buildings. At this stage professionals and air quality contractor and professionals who will make comprehensive plans to address the spreading problem.
If you do find yourself facing water damage at any stage call SERVPRO of Northwest Stark County and they will restore you property. “Like it never even happened.” 330-497-4600